Mexico is the benchmark of gun control in the entire world. They have the best and the most systematic gun-owning regulations that have made it globally renowned. First, this is a country that has only one gun store such that all firearms and guns are procured from a central point. The store is guarded and the paperwork you have to undergo to get a license to own one is just out of this world. We cannot fail to admit that smuggling is a challenge when it comes to gun control in the Mexican states. This is solely attributed to the powerful nature of the neighboring nations that have access to the country at will.
Why own a gun in the first place?
In most cases, citizens opt to own a firearm for gun self-defense. Self-defense with a gun is the sure way of protecting yourself at all times. The Federal government once noted a decrease in crime rates since everyone has self-protection measure and criminals automatically fear for their lives. In other countries, gun control measures are a little bit different for you have to be of a certain class to even think of applying for a gun and you must state valid reasons why you need one.
What are the facts of Owning a gun in Mexico?
- As long as you own a firearm and want to enter this country, you must first declare it and get a permit before you are allowed to cross the borders. This permit is only issued by the Secretariat of National Defense not even the customs agents at the border have the powers to issue this permit.
- The National Defense Secretariat is the only body that is allowed to deal with the issue of gun licensing and possession. It is the body that is also responsible for the operations of the only gun store in the country.
- Every household is entitled to up to 10 firearms which include one handgun and the rest are long guns.
- This is a country that differentiates gun possession and carrying a gun anywhere. Anyone can own a gun including foreigners as long as you keep it at home. It is only the uniformed officers that are allowed to carry guns around. However, there is a special population that has a permit to carry the guns around they include politicians, security personnel, landlords in the rural.
- There is a transfer of firearms but only if the Secretariat is aware and both the buyer and the seller must be present at the time of transfer.
- The body requires almost six papers to ascertain whether you are valid to own a firearm or not.
- The permits must be renewed every year
- The body has the mandate to revote the gun license under the specified conditions.
- The basic qualifications to get a license in Mexico include
Ø Must be of sound mind
Ø must have a military training
Ø must have a valid reason why they need the firearm
Ø must have a clean criminal record
Ø Must be employed and show proof
This is a country that every nation needs to emulate and benchmark on the rules and regulations when it comes to gun control. This is for the safety of the nation and to prevent cases of homicides.